Monday, October 31, 2005

It's Almost Halloween night! Well tonight it is....



But this posting is about meeting up with co-editor of Slam Bang, Todd Ritter (on the right)and his pal Lincoln Farmer (on the left) in Louisville. We met at The Great Escape, a huge comic store in Louisville. I picked up some of my old Marvels. (Avengers this time.) and Todd got some cutting edge new-wave books and we then took off for the movie theater where we saw the new movie DOOM. I've been a huge fan of the game since it was just a demo disk back in 1993 or so.....I learned DOS just so I could work with some of the free game editors out there which you could get from BBS sites. Yeah, the dark ages. I eventually made Doom, DoomII, Duke Nu'kem, Heritic, Quake, Quake II, levels......and all that time wasn't wasted as I was eventually hired by Sierra On-Line in Redmond, WA to work on 3D games! But I digress.....


We liked the Doom movie but I thought it was just a rip off of Aliens 2. It had some nice parts but they really just dragged out the search for evil in dark, creepy places.....They should have had the cool flying skulls, the teleporting on fire beast and some of the other great evil from the game. Oh, well, at least they tried. Oh, but they did have the BFG weapon. And they called it the Bio-Force Gun or something. But when "The Rock" saw the gun, he knew the real name of the weapon! The movie has some twists and turns that kept you wondering what would happen. And there was the coolest part where you see the fighting as if you were in the game. Nice touch.
The sets were very well done and you felt you were in the game most of the time. I couldn't help feeling that the movie was a Doom/Half-Life storyline. But that was ok. Having the dead scientists with names like Carmack was a nice touch. (John Carmack was one of the two heads of ID Software.) And Steve Willits was a game designer, level creator I believe....

Then we had some food at a great BBQ place. And I gave Todd his copy of Anton Bogaty's DRAWINGS. (He bought my meal for it!)

So I'd like for us to meet up once a month.

---Allen

1 comment:

anton bogaty said...

You're giving away my books for food?!?
Good to see that you survived the move and settled in.